In this recipe, sweet potato and apple are shredded and combined to form crispy and unique latkes. The latkes are a little sweet and a little tangy from the added onion. They’re perfect when paired with this creamy lemon tahini sauce. These can be ready in little to no time, so they also make a fantastic snack! Serve with kale if you’re craving leafy greens on the side.
FOR THE SWEET POTATO AND APPLE LATKES:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 apple, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons spelt flour, or oat flour for a gluten-free version
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Pepper to taste
- Kale, for garnish (optional)
FOR THE TAHINI LEMON DRIZZLE:
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Water, as needed to thin sauce
- Sriracha (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients for the tahini lemon sauce in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Grate the sweet potato and the apple into a large mixing bowl. Squeeze as much liquid out of the grated sweet potato and apple as possible and transfer the squeezed mixture into a clean bowl. Add the onion, salt, arrowroot, spelt flour, olive oil, turmeric, and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Heat a cast iron pan (or another skillet) over medium-high heat. Add approximately 2 tablespoons olive oil. When the pan is hot, take a handful (about 1/4 cup) of the latke batter and squeeze it together into a flat-ish round patty. Place it on the hot pan and press down on it with a spatula. Cook for 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to a plate or wire rack covered in paper towel to cool.
- Repeat until all of the latkes are cooked (you can place the cooked ones in the oven at 200°F to keep them warm while cooking). Serve hot with plenty of sauce.