Although we were told for years that fat is bad, we were not told the whole story. Trans-fats, like the kind found in vegetable oils and margarine are indeed ‘bad’ for you. However, healthy fats are vital to your bodyas it cannot function properly without them.
Not only are the healthy fats of avocados, nuts, and seeds critical to cell life, they also provide our bodies with improved immune systems and help prevent most diseases including Alzheimer’s, diabetes, arthritis, heart disease, and even cancer.
Considering our health habits, you might find it difficult to get those healthy fats into your daily diet. Worry not, as we have a tasty and easy way to do exactly that: Smoothies! What better way to get things going than a healthy smoothie in the morning, especially one that is loaded with healthy fats?
Sounds delish, right? Keep reading as we have some terrific recipes to help get you started! If you need a blender check here.
1. Healthy Heart Club Smoothie
This smoothie is all about the heart. We put a bunch of barriers and healthy fats. Greens are important too so add plenty of fresh baby spinach since it is full of lutein, folate, potassium, and fiber. Use dandelion greens or kale to increase the amount of calcium.
- 1 Medium banana, peeled;
- 1 Orange, peeled;
- 1 Cup berries (I like to use 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup raspberries and 1/4 cup strawberries);
- 1/4 Avocado, pitted;
- 2 to 3 cups or large handfuls of fresh, baby spinach (or other leafy green);
- 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed;
- 8 Ounces of filtered water.
Start by adding the liquid to your blender, followed by the soft fruit. Add the greens to your blender last. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until the smoothie is creamy. This recipe makes a large 32-ounce meal-replacement smoothie. Drinking half right away and the other half about 30 minutes later.
2. It’s a Green World Avocado Smoothie
A great choice for mornings when you want to get ample nutrition in but leave calories out. This smoothie is super cleansing as well.
- 1 Large kale leaf, roughly chopped (remove stem);
- 1 Tablespoon of hemp seeds;
- 1 Medium banana, peeled and sliced (you can freeze it if you like);
- ½ Medium ripe avocado, peeled and cut into chunks;
- 1 Teaspoon of lemon juice;
- 2 Dates (remove the pits);
- 1 Cup of almond milk.
To make blending easier, add the kale leaf in your blender first and pulse for a few seconds, then add the ingredients in the order given. Blend until very smooth. Makes one 12 ounce serving.
3. Super Blue Sustainable Energy Smoothie
If available, use wild blueberries for this for added nutrition and energy. If you can’t get them, no worries, frozen blueberries or fresh ones that you have frozen will work just as well.
- 1 Cup of frozen blueberries;
- 1 Small banana;
- 1 Cup of organic leaf lettuce or kale (or just use lettuce one day, and kale the next day);
- ½ Ripe, smaller sized avocado, cut into pieces;
- 1.5 Cups of coconut water;
- 1 Date (pitted);
- ¼ Teaspoon of cinnamon;
- ½ Scoop of plant based protein powder (optional).
Put everything in the blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Add a dash of stevia if that is something you do, to bring the taste to your liking.
4. 3Rs (Rejuvenation-Regeneration-Recovery) Smoothie
If you are a fitness freak, you should consider having a smoothie post exercise. This one is designed to really help your body recover more quickly after a hard workout. This recipe makes 2 servings.
- 1 16-ounce bottle of cherry chia kombucha tea;
- 1 Cup of coconut water;
- 2 Cups of organic strawberries, greens removed;
- 1 Small, organic avocado skin removed and cut into chunks;
- 1 Teaspoon of turmeric powder;
- ½ Teaspoon of freshly grated ginger;
- 1 Pinch of black pepper (for absorption);
- 2 Cups of kale, stalks removed;
- 2 Teaspoons of raw, organic honey;
- 2 Tablespoons of hemp seeds.
Just put everything in your blender or food processor and blend until smoothie smooth. This recipe serves two.
5. I’m Just a Simple Green Smoothie
The perfect simple smoothie for people on the go. If you often find yourself on the go, just cut up everything the night before and watch as it whips together in a minute so you can take it with you.
- 1 Large avocado, peeled and cut into chunks;
- 1 Cup of kale leaves, torn into pieces (remove the stem);
- ½ Cup of frozen blueberries;
- ½ Cup of pineapple;
- 1 Cup of baby spinach;
- ½ Sliced cucumber;
- 1 Cup of coconut water.
Pour the coconut water into the blender and add the avocado, kale, blueberries, pineapple, spinach, and cucumber. Blend until smooth and serve immediately. This recipe makes two servings.
6. A Pear Walks Into a Detox Bar Smoothie
A terrific smoothie for detox and pear fans alike. Makes two servings or put half in the fridge as an afternoon snack.
- 3 Cups of coconut water;
- 2 Cups of organic pears, cored, cut into chunks and frozen (you can use any pear that is in season, but Comice pears are super sweet);
- 3 Cups of organic leaf lettuce (your choice);
- 1 Small avocado, peeled and pit removed;
- 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice;
- 2 Tablespoons of walnuts;
- 1 Teaspoon of real vanilla;
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted.
Just place everything into a blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth.
7. Nutty Cherry Whacky Chia Smoothie
This smoothie has a unique taste you’ll love! If you have a busy day ahead of you, go for this smoothie!
- 1.5 Cups of frozen dark cherries, pits removed;
- 1 Orange (any variety) peeled and cut in half;
- 2 Cups baby spinach;
- 2 Tablespoons of chia seeds;
- ¼ Teaspoon cinnamon;
- 3 Cups of cashew milk;
- 1 Teaspoon of real vanilla.
Place everything in your blender and mix on high until smooth and creamy. You get 2 servings.
8. No Avocados Allowed Smoothie
If you aren’t a fan of avocados, or you just need a change in your life, give this a try. It is as close as any smoothie will ever come to the taste of your favorite cookies.
- ¾ Cup of almond or coconut milk;
- 2 Tablespoons of almond butter;
- 1 Teaspoon of cocoa powder;
- ¼ Cup of steel cut oats;
- 1 Large banana, frozen;
- 1 Scoop of protein powder (your choice);
- 3-4 Ice cubes (optional).
Place everything in your blender and mix on high until smooth. If you like your smoothie a bit thinner, add a few tablespoons of water or coconut milk. If you like them thick, add ice cubes. You can make the recipe as thick as a milk shake or as soft as an ice cream. Yummy!
9. Gotta Date! Smoothie
This is a simple, five ingredient smoothie that you can make in minutes in the morning!
- 1 Cup of almond or coconut milk (your choice);
- 1 Large banana, frozen;
- 2 Dates, pitted;
- ½ Large avocado, cut into chunks;
- 1 Teaspoon real vanilla extract;
- 2 – 4 Ice cubes (optional).
Add all ingredients in your blender or food processor and run on high until thick and creamy. If you add enough ice, you can eat this with a spoon, almost like ice cream!