Black pepper is a spice that makes your food taste delicious. Moreover, black pepper essential oil also offers a wide array of health benefits.
It is derived from black peppercorn steam distillation. This process actually concentrates the active compounds in the peppercorns as well as provides you with the digestive- and nervous-system-improving properties of black pepper. The digestive-boosting, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties of black pepper essential oil make it an excellent oil to introduce into your routine.
Health Benefits of Black Pepper Essential Oil
- This oil helps induce the secretion of stomach acid that plays a key role in optimal digestion.
- That’s why black pepper essential oil helps alleviate gas, diarrhea, constipation, bladder problems, and IBS.
Provides Pain Relief
- A study examined the effects of aromatic essential oils on neck pain. Patients applied a cream that included peppermint, lavender, marjoram, and black pepper essential oils to their neck every day for one month. They reported enhanced pain tolerance and great neck pain improvement.
- In fact, black pepper essential oil acts as an all-natural pain reliever because of its antispasmodic, warming, and anti-inflammatory properties. Furthermore, it could also help decrease the symptoms of arthritis, muscle injuries, and tendonitis.
Lowers LDL (Bad) Cholesterol
- The research was done on rats that were fed a high-fat diet showed that those rats that received a black pepper supplement had lower triglycerides and LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and higher HDL (good) cholesterol levels compared to the control group.
Has Strong Antiviral Activity
- Antibiotic resistance is on the rise as people have used antibiotics to fight most infections. Fortunately, black pepper essential oil has antiviral properties that can target bacterial virulence and reduce the risk of the bacteria developing a resistance to medications.
- Since black pepper essential oil helps boost mucus and bile flow, it can stimulate proper circulation.
Has Anti-Cancer Properties
- The Michigan State University researchers found that this oil had anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer and antioxidant properties thanks to its compounds, especially piperine, which showed the ability to inhibit the growth of human cancer cells.
Helps You Give up Smoking
- The Nicotine Research Laboratory at the V.A. Medical Center in Durham conducted research that showed that the vapor of black pepper essential oil could help decrease smoking withdrawal symptoms. Specifically, reported cravings for cigarettes were greatly decreased in the pepper condition relative to each of the 2 control conditions. As a result of this, cigarette substitutes that deliver pepper constituents could be beneficial in smoking cessation treatment.
- When applied topically, black pepper essential oil helps warm your body, because of piperine, its active component that stimulates sweating. Furthermore, it also helps stimulate urination and act as a diuretic, thus eliminating excess water and toxins from your body. That’s why this oil helps reduce inflammation, swelling and blood pressure levels completely naturally.
Increases Your Appetite
- Even though a large number of Americans try to lose weight loss, many people experience suppressed appetite because of various health conditions, such as depression and cancer. However, black pepper essential oil could help restore your appetite to normal levels.
- In addition, as a result of the olfactory stimulation of this oil, it is beneficial for neurological disorder patients who experience difficulty swallowing. The ingestion and inhalation of black pepper essential oil have been found to speed up swallowing movement and elevate the oral food intake among pediatric patients that received long-term enteral nutrition, such as tube feeding or liquid supplements.
How to Use Black Pepper Essential Oil:
- Opt for 100% pure, high-quality oil free of any preservatives and fillers when buying any essential oil. You can use black pepper essential oil orally or topically.
- Oral Use:
- Detoxication: A couple of drops orally;
- Digestion: A couple of drops in a meal, soup, smoothie, etc;
- Respiratory conditions: Take orally or inhale directly from the bottle;
- Also, you can diffuse or inhale the oil to reduce cigarette cravings. Plus, it adds an excellent flavor to most dishes. Simply add 1-2 drops to your dish.
- When applied topically, it could contribute to a warming sensation. So, you should mix it with a carrier oil, like raw, organic coconut oil, in a 1:1 dilution ratio.
- Detoxification: Apply 2–3 drops to the bottom of your feet;
- Arthritis: Apply 2–3 drops to the affected area;
- Congestion: Apply 2–3 drops to your chest;
- Muscle pain: Apply 1–5 drops to the affected area;
- Digestion: Apply 1–2 drops to your abdominal area;
- Blood flow and circulation: Apply 3–5 drops to the affected area with warm compress